“Human, I have a question.”
“What is it, Bagheera?”
“Did you miss us when you were away?”
“Of course I did. But you are used to me going away for a little while. I did it many times when you were a tiny little mitten kitten, and it’s been part of your entire life. You knew I would come back, like I always do. Why do you ask?”
“Well, I have heard that some humans do not think that there is such a thing as feline affection, whether it’s between multiple cats or felines and humans.”
“I know that’s not true, Bagheera. I know that when I come home from being away for a while, you love to head bonk me to say hello. And I know that Jacey and Marley miss me, too. I don’t think Marley has been quiet ever since I got back from my trip. I know that these are signs of feline affection.”
The talking that Jacey, Marley and I have been doing with the human since he got back is just one sign of feline affection. Here are some others:
- Head bonks, also known as bunting
- Spraying — yes, marking your things with our urine indicates that we like you
- Rolling — when we flop and roll at your feet, we like you
- Scratching — this leaves our scent and helps mingle our scent with yours
- Gifting — we have not done this because there’s nothing to catch!
- Sleeping — sleeping by you shows we trust you
- Eye blinking — another sign of trust
- Presenting our anal glands for you to sniff — you humans have to learn this
- Erect tails — this allows you to sniff our anal glands
- Talking — you don’t talk to people you don’t like, and we don’t either
- Grooming — when we give you sandpaper kisses, it’s a sign of love
Which one of these ways do you like your cats show some feline affection for you? Right now, I can tell you that the human wishes that Marley and Jacey would stop meowing at him to show him love. I do not think Marley has stopped talking to him since he returned! He went and brushed all three of us, and brushed her last so hopefully that will calm her down.
But regardless of this, it is good to know that Marley and Jacey are showing lots of love for the human by talking to him. It is driving him nuts right now, but he will learn to accept this form of feline affection.